Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Love of Money

1 Timothy 6:10: "For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."


I struggle with resentment of wealthy people, even disdain for them.  I would not want to be them for literally all the money in the world.  I have a wise friend who is now retired who has shared some insight into those people.  She says they are preoccupied with keeping their wealth and obsessed with how to make more.  I believe that is true.  Yes, there are some wealthy people who are philanthropic, such as Bill and Melinda Gates and Mark Zuckerman; however, there are far more who care nothing for the less fortunate and are, indeed, preoccupied with tightening the grip on what wealth they do possess.  The Bible has much to say about wealth, but I will focus on just this story:

Matthew 19:20-22  chronicles  the story of the rich man who encountered Jesus.  Here is what it says:  20The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?" 21Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." 22But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property.…

The same story is found in Mark 10: 20-22:   And he said to Him, "Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up." 21Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." 22But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.…

Finally, it is ALSO in Luke:  And he said, "All these things I have kept from my youth." 22When Jesus heard this, He said to him, "One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." 23But when he had heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich.…

I really feel sorry for people like this.  I have never bought a lottery ticket and likely never will.  I suppose I am considered "middle class."  All I want is enough money to pay my bills and be able to breathe a little.  I don't need a fancy house, fancy car, or trips around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment