Wednesday, January 13, 2016

It's a heart issue

I "unfriended" several people after the Clemson-Alabama game.  Without repeating what they said about my beloved Tigers, let me explain before you say I was over-reacting.  These were Gamecock fans, and rather than rooting for the state team who would bring honor and dignity to South Carolina, they were so filled with hatred for Clemson that they pulled for Alabama.  On the surface, that's no big deal.  However, with what they posted, they totally disrespected their Clemson friends, and in one case, it even bordered on bullying or taunting.  These were adults----adult bullies---who were mean-spirited, flaunting insults that were meant to inflame or inflict bad feelings. That, folks, is a heart issue.

To put it bluntly, we have a mean society.  That little vignette above is true, but it is symptomatic of our society as a whole.  I can pinpoint that the degeneration of our society goes back to the days of the Jerry Springer "talk" show.  I never watched it, but I remember flipping channels and for the first time hearing the "bleeping" out of words and seeing adults on stage yelling and fighting with each other and the host egging them on.  From that with the advancement of technology, we now have kids in school taking videos of fights and posting them to You tube.  We have teenagers beating up homeless people, and I don't mean 18 or 19 year-olds.  Last week in a city near me, an elderly woman was shot and killed waiting for her daughter to come out of a mall----the victim of a purse-snatching.

Back to the "unfriending" story above----I don't need mean people in my life, especially not on Facebook.  I am not a Gamecock fan, but out of respect for my Gamecock friends, I would never taunt them on Facebook.  That is a heart issue, a character issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment